Thursday, May 19, 2011

What does having Autism mean to you?

To me, having autism means that you view the world differently. Then the way you communicate your thoughts about the world is also different. It doesn't mean that anything is "wrong" with you or that you are broken. I do understand how it is hard to accept that your child is different but only because society has made it difficult to be different. I feel sadness for my son because I fear what he will have to overcome in this world that requires normalcy. But I'm not sad that he is different. He is an amazing, unique individual and he is exactly how he is supposed to be. I may have to work a little harder to help his world mesh with my world but that's OK. I'm prepared to do that.

I think denial and fear are led by not understanding what autism really is. James won't accept the fact that Michael is on the spectrum. He will only accept right now that he has sensory processing disorder (SPD). He knows something is different about Michael but fears the word autism. But why? My way of looking at it is to understand it and work with what you know! If you keep yourself in denial you are only doing a disservice to yourself and your child. I'm hoping after the evaluations he will be more open to the idea of a formal diagnosis.

We haven't told my father in law at all what is going on. He's severely against labels or any type of diagnosis. I don't believe in labeling children either but I do believe in diagnosis so that the individual can get treatment. A diagnosis doesn't define who you are but it's so hard for people to see it any other way sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN SISTA!! Lindsay you are such an incredible mom!! I commend you and I am so impressed by you. Michael is SOOOO BLESSED to have you as his mom!! You can already see the love he has for you!

    ReplyDelete