Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Being around company

Being around company is hard. When Michael starts acting up or not conversing in the normal way, I find myself being very self conscious. With every "NO WAY!" you start to wonder what they think of your parenting skills. Like they are thinking why can't this mom get her child to just answer a question?!

Yesterday we were out with some friends for Memorial Day. Michael of course was having his normal issues and saying "no way" every 5 seconds. The parents were making jokes saying "Is that the only word you know Michael?" I know they weren't saying it to be mean but it hurt. It was stressing me out. I eventually told the mother later that day that we are having him tested for Autism. She said "Well that would explain a lot of his behaviors". I guess she had noticed his other odd behaviors in addition to his "no way"s. She had made note prior to me telling her this info that he wasn't interacting with her girls (3.5 and 5) until about 5 hours into the day with them. We went to a park to all play together and Michael just sat there rolling rocks down a slide while all the other kids were swinging and running around together. Michael would be either oblivious to them being around or if they were near him he was getting upset they were in his space.

It makes me sad. I hate feeling this way whenever we are around friends or strangers. I have a sitter over today and I basically had to tell her not to take it personal if my son yells at her all day. :(

2 comments:

  1. You just made me cry. Some people...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well she wasn't saying it in a mean way or anything like that. But it's still hard having to explain yourself (or really defend your child's behavior) to others.

    ReplyDelete