Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Autism Class Part 3

Oh boy sorry I was so delayed on writing this! Having time to sit down and write here can be a struggle with two kids. Anyway, last Wed was the final autism class at the hospital. I really enjoyed this one! There were a couple ladies there from parent advocacy groups that gave us a bunch of information on how to best advocate for your child. All the info out there can be overwhelming and honestly I had no idea that places like this existed to help you! They gave me a giant booklet of all sorts of resources and they also said that you can call at any time and get the info as well if you aren't sure where to look or what to do. One awesome thing the told me is that if I ever have troubles with the school system and his IEP, I can call and they will send an advocate with me to the IEP meeting. They said that almost always changes the tone of the meetings to being super helpful and on your side, lol!

The last part of the class they had a parent panel. This was just 3 moms telling their stories and a little about their struggles with autism. It was refreshing hearing stories that were similar to mine to let me know, "Hey you aren't crazy!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment