Wednesday, July 20, 2011

That was fun

Speech therapy today was fun (read my sarcasm). Michael decided he'd meltdown for 1/2 of the therapy session, laying on the floor screaming and crying. Luckily the therapist is really patient as am I and we just waited it out. Finally he decided it would be better to get up and play puzzles. But then he didn't want to leave when it was time to go so the meltdown started up again, lol! He got over it soon enough on the way home, which I was happy about.

Anyway, I told the ST about his dx and she agreed that it fit him. We talked a little about his rituals and routines and how I struggle with when I should allow him to stick to the rituals and when I should force him otherwise. She basically said to break it as much as I can but if I don't have the energy for it that day, then that's okay. Forcing him to break from his rituals can throw off his whole day so it's very hard for me to decide whether or not it is worth it to force it on him. But it makes sense that the more we force it, the more he will get used to the idea of change and that is good. I guess I will just keep taking it one day at a time. I have actively been working on this and I do see improvement - however very slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment