Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tacoma Public Schools - you are not impressing me!!

Well Michael had his preschool screening in I think it was early June. They wanted him to come back for a full evaluation on 09/15. I thought that seemed really late in the year but just left it at that. I thought between then and now I'd have received some info from the district in the mail or something. But here we are, almost the end of August and I've heard absolutely ZERO about the preschool! This makes it kind of hard to figure out my schedule and childcare if I don't know the days or hours he is attending! The only thing they gave me was a card that had our appointment date on it and a phone number to call. I called yesterday and it said they were out for the summer until today. So I called today and the lady was like "Oh let me think, it's my first day back so I'm not really thinking straight"

So she told me that "if" he qualifies (which he has to since he has a diagnosis now!) then he'd most likely be in the special ed preschool in the mornings 2 days a week from 9:30-12:00. But they also have a special autism class that he "might" qualify for (even though he was dx with an ASD apparently that doesn't automatically qualify you???) which is 5 days a week from 9-1:30.

She also told me that school starts on Sept 7th and since his eval isn't until 09/15 that he wouldn't be starting until probably early October!! WTF?! So can somebody please explain to me why he was scheduled so late for an eval if school starts the week BEFORE? It's not like this appointment was made a week ago.

I also still have no information about the special ed bus that will pick him up. I'm assuming I can tell them to pick him up/drop him off at another location w/in Tacoma other than my home but I have no idea. Because again, I know NOTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment