Saturday, November 19, 2011

Adding to my last post...



I took this video tonight to further explain what I was talking about in my last post. Today Michael went to a birthday party for a friend of mine's son. This is our conversation tonight about it. The video is black because I was recording it in the dark as we rocked before bed. Every night I ask him questions like this to try and get him to engage in a conversation with me about his day. Tonight was actually a very good night. Most nights he won't even respond with yes, only his favorite "no way mama".

I was explaining in a little more detail to my friend about my last post as well. She said that her daughter typically will come home and she'll ask her what she did and she'll say "I don't know". The way Michael differs is he doesn't even understand the concept of you asking about the past. In neuro-typical children you could then ask details like "Did you learn about your letters?" and they will recall some of what they did and start to talk about it. Michael would probably only respond with something like "Yeah, letters" or "No way mama".

But as I was saying in the last post, he is doing awesome if you are talking in the moment. Although I did notice his conversation is very concrete. He doesn't understand abstract concepts like "that's cute", etc. For example, he will play Angry Birds and say "Oh the red bird flew so high! One pig left! We got them all! I won 3 stars!" But if you then said "What is your favorite bird?", he'd probably respond with "No way mama, my Angry Birds!" because he didn't understand what you were asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment