Saturday, October 27, 2012

This is why I hate going out...

So yesterday (or I guess it would be 2 days ago...hello 1am) we had Michael's IEP at the new school. It actually went just fine and in fact, I was told when they re-evaluated his speech and language, he came out slightly ABOVE AVERAGE in speech! He still has some communication and social language deficits, but his overall language is doing great! So to celebrate, we went over to Chick-fil-A to eat and then play in the play place. Well, it had been snowing so everyone and their kids decided that was the place to be. Michael has a hard time when things are chaotic with kids like that. He was sitting in one of the tube things and barking at this kid and yelling at him to go away. The kid's mom came in to check on him and he was like "that kid is being mean to me" and the mom saw him sitting in the tube barking and screaming. She left her kid and went back to her table. As someone else opened the door to the playplace (which I was sitting in), I heard her say with much attitude "Oh my gosh, there is this little boy in there that is doing xyz" and had this NASTY face on her like she couldn't believe that such an asshole child was allowed to be in the same space as her perfect child. I couldn't help it and I just snapped! I went out there and I said "Just so you know, I know you are talking about my son and I don't appreciate it! He is acting like that because he has autism and he has a hard time with social situations". Then she says to me "Oh, I was wondering if you were his mom or not". A few minutes later she came and tried to apologize but failed miserably by saying "It's good you are in here if he has autism". What the hell is that supposed to mean anyway? I just wanted to get the heck out of there before I went out and punched her in the face. Or at least dumped her drink on her head. Ugh!

1 comment:

  1. Hugs. That must have been so hard. I'm hoping you made an impact on that mom so she will be more tolerant in the future <3

    Neysa

    ReplyDelete